Moving out of the home you’ve lived in for a while can be stressful, but it’s also a great opportunity to make a new start. Getting organised and planning ahead will minimise your stress levels and make it easier to move on.
Here are some tips to make the day you move out as painless as possible:
- Ask us to recommend a professional removal firm - your belongings are precious.
- Think about moving out and in on separate days so you don’t have to squeeze everything into the same day.
- Leaving a few days before moving in will free up time to get essential work to your new home completed without needing to work around piles of boxes. It’s a great time for carpet cleaning, decorating or any DIY projects that might be dusty like sanding woodwork or floorboards, replastering etc.
- If you can, avoid moving on a Monday or Friday: they are the busiest days for moving as well as for traffic on the roads.
- Remember to take meter readings on both properties on the day(s) of the move.
- Set up your post to be redirected a few weeks before you move with the Royal Mail - a good precaution against identity theft.
- While you still have an internet connection (it could be a few weeks before your new property is connected), download any instruction manuals from the manufacturer’s website for your new appliances.
- Prepare a note for the new owners explaining how things work and where they can find useful items such as the boiler switches, aerial sockets and alarm codes. A few kind thoughts will go a long way when it comes to mail redirection and injects some humanity into the whole process.